There’s no reason for a woman not to look good during her surrogate pregnancy. Lately, the range of options available in maternity clothing has grown drastically – but not every choice is a good one, and there are a lot of clothes styles you should completely avoid if you want to look your best while being comfortable.
Here are some tips on what to avoid:
1. Don’t buy over-sized maternity clothes. When you get pregnant, you’ll definitely get bigger – but still, don’t buy maternity clothes that make you look bigger than you actually are! Don’t compromise on the size of your clothes just to save a few bucks.
2. Don’t buy short dresses – these are not at all recommended during pregnancy for a couple of reasons. Not only will they make you feel uncomfortable physically, but also while sitting and walking in public. Additionally, as your stomach expands, the length of the dress will shorten further. Instead, try long maxis, which slim your figure and can even be worn post-pregnancy.
3. Don’t buy tight maternity clothes. It’s very important to choose the appropriate size, for comfort and well as appearance. It’s best to avoid tight tops that aren’t just uncomfortable, but aggravate sweating issues.
4. Don’t wear your regular undergarments; there are specialized ones designed for better comfort and ease during pregnancy. A number of maternity bras offer better support to your bust and give it a firmer look.
5. Don’t buy low-waist or underbelly pants. In the second and third trimesters, you’ll have a large belly, and you’ll really need comfort then. Avoid low-waist jeans and pants that not only create discomfort but may also hurt the stomach. The perfect option for that situation is full-belly bands.
6. Don’t spend too much – remember, your surrogate pregnancy will only last nine months. After giving birth, your normal figure will return, and the maternity clothes will no longer fit.
The most important considerations for surrogates when buying maternity clothes are comfort and appearance. Your pregnancy can open up a whole new world when it comes to shopping for clothing, so keep the above tips in mind so that you can make your best choices.
Your Next Steps
To apply to be a surrogate mother with the Illinois Surrogate Agency, simply fill out our easy online form, and one of our friendly, knowledgeable caseworkers will be in touch with you to discuss your application, talk about the next steps in the process, and answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, you can also check out our free reports for more information on surrogacy and the surrogate experience.